Monday 18 May 2009

My Fab Tutorial, Part 1!

OLD FASHIONED SCHOOL SATCHEL
Some of you maybe to young to remember the Leather School Satchel, but it is something which I had to have for school.
I lay awake yesterday morning, and finally got up at 5.00am, went into my craft room and began to play. This is the result.
What do you think?
I thought this would be perfect for any teacher, particularly as we are rollercoastering to the end of the school year. I know if I received one I'd love it.
So this is Part 1 of my Tutorial.
I apologise straight away it is a bit long but mainly photos, not lots of instructions.
Lets get on with it then.
You will need:
2 A4 pieces of cardstock - I have used Chocolate Chip from Stampin' Up.
15" piece of 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon - again Chocolate Chip from SU.
1 name plate - from the Hodgepodge Kit
2 small brads - from the Hodgepodge Kit
2 decorative brads - from the Hodgepodge Kit
Ink Pad for inking the edges of cardstock - Chocolate Chip
2 sets of velcro circles
and various cutting and stick stuff!
Cutting List:
Now onto what to do
1. Round all 4 corners on back and flap card piece, and 2 edges of the main and pocket pieces. Then ink all the edges and draw faux stitching around the edges.
2. These two pieces form the gussets of the satchel.



3. On the long edges of both pieces score in 1cm



4. Then measure 8cm in from each short edge on the longer piece and score all the way along, then cut down to the 1cm score line.

5. Then fold all the score lines.

6. Repeat this process with the shorter gusset pieces, but with the measurement shown.

7. Attach a strong double sided stick tape as shown above. Both pieces should be folded as below.

8. Attaching the Gusset to the pocket:
This may seem complicated but is actually very easy. I think the picture show it much better than I could explain it!

9. Make sure you attach them all firmly, repeat the process with the main satchel piece, leaving a 1/2cm space from the top.


10. Then attach the main piece and gusset to the back and flap, and then attach the front pocket to the front of the satchel. Sorry forgot to photograph this part but hopefully you get it, if not you will, further down!
11. Now attach the name plate. This is positioned in the middle of the front flap, about 4.5cm in front each outer edge, which I have to say was a complete fluke!
12. Now on the inside you can see the brads, but cunningly, these are then disguised with the velcro tabs.




13. Close the bag up to be able to position the second part of the velcro, doesn't matter which way the velcro goes, as long as the same part is one the same side, does that make sense!


Voila!! What do you think so far?
Right now the strap!
14. You need 2 3inch piece and 2 rings or D ring, I htink they are called, these are available from haberdasherys. But I made my own from thick jewellery wire!

15. Put some sticky tape on one end of the ribbon, thread it through the ring and stick.




16. Do the same with the 15inch piece of ribbon, making sure the fold over is on the same side!



17. Now punch 2 x 3/8" circles and make a hole in the middles



18. Make a hole in the ribbon and thread the brad through all the layers, you will have to trim the ribbon to the shape of the circle so you can't see it when attached to the satchel.

19. Punch a hole about 1" down, on each side of the satchel


20. Then attach the strap
I really hope this works, I have gone through it about 4 times, but there may be things I have missed, please let me know, I hope you like it and have a go. If you do please let me have a peek!
Please feel free to use this tutorial, just let people know where it came from so more people can share it.
Right I'm off now to make Part 2!
See you later
Hugs Sarah B X

23 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing tutorial Sarah and so detailed. I like how you have written down and photographed the measurements - this is so helpful. I can't wait to have a go at making this satchel(and yes I do remember them - just!).
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding,
    Adorable,
    I am old enough to remember these satchels,
    it brings back some good memories,
    Thank you so much,
    Hugs
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing tutorial Sarah
    bang on time as you said 9am, precise detailing and excellent quality photos, look forward to the second part.
    hugs Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing are you - this is brilliant, I'll definately be giving it a try before the end of summer term.

    Thanks for sharing so much.

    Hugs
    Penni
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sarah this is outstanding xxxx
    Just stopping by to tell you about the exciting new Challenge blog that has just been announced, packed with fresh creative ideas, to be run by myself and Ann (madgesty loves to create). Please stop by the link below and check out the brilliant blog candy on offer and how you can become involved. See you there xxx
    The Next Level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, that is fantastic Sarah, what a great idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how fab, perfect for my son's teacher as a gift bag! Looking forward to part 2 and having a play!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya, wowzers! you really have out done yourself this time, definately watch out Lauren M!!! There is a little something on my blog for you when you get 5 mins!
    Hugs S.J. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is stunning! Yes I remember mine too and the smell of the leather which was so hard! Youve made a seemingly tough challenge look so achievable, thanks for sharing the products of your insomnia!!
    Keryn :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!! What a brilliant project, can't wait to make one.
    You are a genius. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5:00am?!!

    I think it's amazing - you are a very gifted lady :) Love Stephanie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG - how absolutly fantastic is this. I am going to do one for my grand daughters teacher and fill it with those nice red lindor choccies! and with a shorter handle a great old fashioned brief case for a dad. You are just so amazingly talented sarah.Thank you somch for sharing this Love Terri XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditto everything everyone else has said! Sarah ... I love this. You are just so darn amazing! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fantastic is that........you are one very talented lady Sarah !! I agree teachers would absolutely love this!!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear Sarah B!!!! You amaze me!!!!! WOndeful creation from a very talented and lovely lady! Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had to come and have a nosey after Jules mentioning it at the workshop today. Its amazing and of course, I am old enough to remember having one!! Very, very, clever and I can imagine other teachers being very envious of the recipient; thanks for sharing the great tutorial xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came across this on ILWS, I am so impressed that you designed this satchel. I have had a go and love it, I can see all sorts of uses for it. Hope you don't mind if I use it in a class, I will obviously give you full credit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came across your tutorial via ILWS. I am so impressed that you designed this project, the instructions are brilliant. I have had a go and love it and can think of so many uses for the satchel. Hope you don't mind if I use it in a class, obviously I will give you full credit. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah this is FANTASTIC!!! Very clever indeed and very easy to follow. Thank you for your generosity. Hugs M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW.....Superb, fantastic....thanks sooo much for the tutorial I'm def going to have a go at this!!!.

    Lotsa hugs Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this have been looking for something my grandson can help me do for his teacher. He is only 5 so will not remember satchels but I know his teaacher will

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm "pinning" your tutorial: great job, a little big masterpiece. Thank you for share this.
    xoxoxo Eulalia

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting, leave a link and I'll pop by XX